Tuesday 1 September 2009

And so it continues...

Today has been a long day, full of appointments and non-appointments (I was a day early for one!)

I took the car (aka Zachary) for his first MOT and 30,000 mile service. I spent the morning walking up and down the local roads, stopping at cafes from time to time, until at 1 they told me it would be all day, and asked if I'd like to borrow a car. Which I did, only to realise on the way home that my house keys were on the car-keys fob. I called at a friend's house and spent a couple of hours with kittens crawling up me and lying asleep on my chest.

The cat hadn't been well so once I'd collected the car (£233 plus another £180 in two weeks when they replace a part) I popped her to the vets - another £43... At least my trip to the doctor's was free! I had a good chat and laugh with the nurse who saw me. Bills were the last thing on my mind.

You know what? I refuse to worry about money. My Dad, who wasn't in the least religious, always taught me that "If you give, you get back." He said it was like some Universal Law. He was ahead of his time... anyway, I have always given, and always got back. Years ago I even tithed my student grant. I was the only person I knew with money left at the end of each year.

I spoke to a dear friend tonight. He has just learnt that he probably has cancer. He has thousands of pounds more than I do, but he probably won't be able to buy his way out of this one...

Money isn't real, after all. We've invented it. It's useful when it gives you a better quality of life, but it isn't useful when the pursuit of money leads to a poorer quality of life. This much I've learned in 49 years. I'm certainly not going to worry about it - to me, bills are a confirmation of the fact that I have enough. And that's all I need. More than enough will surely come my way, and I shall enjoy it, but enough is... well, enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment