Tuesday 13 April 2010

Leg ahoy!


Well - I'm back home after the surgery - I went in at 7.30 yesterday and my sister collected me at 3.30 (she came at 2.15 but I was very dizzy after some codeine so they kept me in for a bit longer).

I was supposed to be second on the list but as they suspected a latex allergy when they screened me last week, and the bloods hadn't come back, I was bumped up to first. I had been pretty nervous the night before but knew I'd be fine once I got there. My blood pressure was very high - not surprisingly - but the nurse reassured me I'd be fine later. I quite enjoyed the ride down to theatre - the staff were all so kind and chatty. I was wheeled into theatre at 9 on the dot, and the anaesthetist made me laugh by asking me something about golf... I talked right till I went to sleep; the last thing I said was, "I'm closing my eyes now, I'm off - hope he finds the bone!"

And then I woke up.

Although I didn't have my glasses on, the clocks were so big that I could see it was 10.10 and immediately realised I hadn't been gone too long. Apparently I was in theatre for 33 minutes (very precise!) and I knew it must have gone well to be so quick.

My nurse in Recovery had a name badge which said, "Michael Bond' and I said, "Did you write Paddington?" He smiled and said, "Yes! Not many people realise that! Most people think I'm James' brother!" O what wit and banter straight after an anaesthetic! My mouth was really really dry, and he kept bringing me little sticks to suck - I must have got through about fifteen of them, and I couldn't stop shaking. I've seen my daughter go through this which was a good thing cos I remembered that it does stop eventually! My head was remarkably clear in fact. I started crying and I asked for a tissue and said, "I know it's only the anaesthetic, but I feel really emotional!!"

When I went back to the ward, I had lots of iced water - my mouth was still terribly dry. Finally I was allowed tea, and as I drank it I thought, "oooh that's better!" but as soon as I drained the mug, my mouth was dry again. I must have had about seven mugs of tea, and they brought toast - the first bite I took was delicious for about a millisecond, and then it stuck to my palate and I couldn't budge it!

Still - they kept bringing the tea, and I even got onto Rich Tea biscuits, which were very welcome! My blood pressure was back down to normal, thank goodness.

I didn't see the surgeon but he'd left notes. Apparently he hasn't done anything to the bone - he'd written: BONE HEALED - but he has done something to the cartilage. So there must have been a tear the scan missed, I guess. I'll know when I see him in a few weeks - aparently he took photos so I hope it's interesting! Anyway I am off crutches - took them back to the other hospital today - and I can climb the stairs without groaning. I'm still on painkillers as you are advised to keep on top of the pain, but it's nothing like it was. I have lots of exercises to do and BOTH my knees click, which makes me a little nervous, but mobility is the main thing for now, so I shall keep at it! Tomorrow the nurse omces to re-dress the wound, and I'll get to see my leg (which the surgeon carefully labelled: LEFT LEG - SCOPE) in black ink, and painted with iodine during the op, so it's a bit of a sight...

So far, so good! :)

Oh! - and I DON'T have a latex allergy. Which is good news. Glad I got bumped up the list though...

The women either side of me were being questioned on admission, as you are, and it made me sad to hear that one of them had emphysema, asthma and angine - the other had asthma and a chronic cough... and they both smoked 15 - 20 a day.

WHY?? :(

No comments:

Post a Comment